Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Alone again, naturally

As I've got older I've realised increasingly how much I need alone time. It's not that I don't like people or that I don't ever need company but I need - really need - to have some time each day to myself. To be alone with my thoughts or even to just be alone, not thinking.

I have always been an extremely shy person - although I am getting better with that - so I think some of my need for aloneness stems from that. Added to the shyness, I am an only child so my earliest memories are of making my own fun rather than relying on the input of others. Whatever the cause may be, now I find that even an hour or two of quiet solitude is just the ticket for calming any feelings of anxiety or angst I might be experiencing or for just getting myself back into my own rhythm, rather than jogging haphazardly along to the rhythm of others.

Apparently one can be diagnosed now as a 'highly sensitive person' and I think I am perhaps leaning in that direction - dislike of crowds, aversion to loud noises and bright lights, need for peace and solitude. I also know it's important though to balance that need with regular interaction with the rest of the world lest one goes a little hermity and weird. I do think it's good to be able to recognise and respond to one's feelings, though.

Are you a 'loner' like me or do you love to be surrounded by people 24/7?

6 comments:

T. said...

I don't like being pushed and tread on in a really big crowd, but I have no need to be on my own.
A moment of peace and quiet now and then is nice, but it soon gets me bored...

Pina said...

I like to be alone, but not always. Older I am, more I need people around me.

Diana Kennedy said...

I am pretty much like you. I hate crowds, loud people, noise anyway and I love peace and solitude.

Bodecea said...

Am I shy? Do I prefer being alone? I don't know! It depends so much on my actual mood and the situation.

Bodecea

Feronia said...

@ Sefarina -

No, big crowds are the worst! Good reason not to do any Christmas shopping... :)

@ Pina -

Yes, company is sometimes a nice thing :)

@ Diana -

Me too :)

@ Bodecea -

I find that I enjoy solitude whether I am in a good or bad mood.

Mrs Mac said...

I think the main cause of my stress re being a carer for mum is the way it has cut across my alone time! I feel like screaming some days to be alone for a few hours...

Thank you for your kind message for FLuffy. We went back to the vet today and I have posted an update. He saw lots of bladder lining cells in her wee. We won't have the blood test results till Tuesday. He thinks there may be a tumour :( but I don't know.... I can't find much about bladder lining cells! I hope it is an after effect of all the anti-biotics... fingers and toes crossed. Please keep yours crossed!