Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Of David Bowie and Fairy Tales




David Bowie has been my soundtrack this last day or so as I've been having a little burst of creative energy - doing some writing and making some new cards. I especially love this song - "The Man who Sold the World". I was hoping to find an original 70s clip of it but this one is pretty good anyway. I had no idea either that Nirvana (another fave of mine) had done a version. So here they are :) Love that opening guitar riff!

****

I am also reading The Fairy Tale Series of books which are adult rewritings of traditional fairy tales. Tam Lin by Pamela Dean is my favourite book ever and I found Briar Rose by Jane Yolen and Fitcher's Brides by Gregory Frost in the thrift shop yesterday. I love the surreal world of fairy tales so I am thoroughly enjoying these. Do you have a favourite fairy tale?

2 comments:

Bodecea said...

Hi Feronia,

I read a lot brother Grimm tales when I was a child - the versions which are closer to the originales are sometimes far from stuff for children. I remember one of a dead child trying to dig out of the grave...

Do you know the re-written stories of Angela Carter?

My fav fairy tale... I liked "Allerleihrauh" (All-Kinds-of-Fur), but I just re-read it and was a bit astonished that it deals with incest...? I forgot this!

Bodecea

Feronia said...

Hi Bodecea,

The Grimm stories can be a bit grim, can't they!

I don't know Angela Carter but I'll have a look for her stuff.

I'll google Allerleirauh now...isn't it bizarre how so many of the fairytales meant something completely different to what you thought they were about!

Feronia :)