Thursday, May 28, 2009

I know it's not fashionable but...part II




I love postcards. Especially old postcards. Perhaps it gets back to perspectives again but the older the postcard, the more unusual and interesting the angle, it seems to me. Whenever you receive a postcard now, it seems to be of the biggest landmark, the most notable thing. And, of course, you don't really receive postcards very often anymore, do you, because it seems that when people go on holidays now, they tend to send you an email, or a text, or a photo freshly snapped with their digital camera or sometimes, they even keep a blog of their travels, describing their journey to you day by day (ahem). But old postcards, yes. Sure, there's the kitsch appeal. I get that and I love it. But there's also the endearing obscurity about some of the views presented: "This is the little corner of our world which we like the best, and so we are passing it on to you to take away and remember."

1 comment:

Wurst Semmel said...

I'm beginning to think we may be separated at birth! Rex, Dr. Who, Jane Austen and now postcards. Hmmm.
WS